Click to Enlarge
Please enter your starting address in the form input below.
Please refresh the page if trying an alternate address.
44 Plas Y Coed is a ground floor apartment, forming one of 12 apartments in the historical grade II listed Plas Y Coed building. The property briefly comprises open plan kitchen/living space with extra height ceiling, extra deep skirting boards, cornice and laminate flooring, the living area has full height bay window with views over formal gardens, featured arched recess to the side of the living/kitchen area, kitchen with intergrated microwave, dishwasher, oven and hob, feature arch to communal hallway and entrance, bathroom featuring Porcelanosa flooring, tiles and sanitary ware, feature stone archway to shower enclosure, double glazed handmade wooden sash windows, bedroom 1 featuring an en-suite shower room, bedroom 2 with double doors to veranda and terrace with views over the gardens.
The grade II listed house and stables were built between 1863 and 1878 on the site of the former 17th century classical villa “Lime Grove”. Originally built as a home to the Penrhyn Estate manager, Captain Pennant Lloyd. The house is spectacularly located on the North Wales coast, close to the harbour at Porth Penrhyn and adjacent to historic Penrhyn Castle and park. Plas Y Coed was designed in the Victorian gothic revival style and constructed of local granite and slate, ornately decorated with Anglesey Limestone used as a striking contrast for quoins, window surrounds, mullions, transoms and the main entrance balustrade. A significant architectural feature of this impressive, two storey historic house are the full height gable chimney stacks with moulded cappings on the north and south facing elevations. Principle entry is from the north and leads into the dramatic main entrance hall, which retains much of its original character, including the sweeping panelled staircase, gothic stone arches, the original fireplace and polychromatic ceramic floor tiles. Screened by banks of mature woodland (as the name suggests), Plas Y Coed faces the Menai Straits, Porth Penrhyn and Hirael Bay to the north and the spectacular mountains of Snowdonia to the south.
The wealth of this region was based on the successful slate quarrying industry in the 18th century leading to the development of nearby Bangor and Porth Penrhyn creating property such as Plas Y Coed, then known as Lime Grove, and Penrhyn Castle. Plas Y Coed was built on the site of an earlier Georgian house known as Lime Grove, demolished in 1860 to make way for a the new residence. The date of the current construction is evidenced by the iron hopper heads of the rain water pipes, which date back to 1863. The building remained the residence of Penrhyn Estate up until 1970 when it was purchased by Caernarfon County Council and converted to a residential retirement home. Watkin Jones acquired Plas Y Coed and have now completed a sympathetic conversion of the grade 2 listed house and ancillary buildings into 12 elegant and luxurious apartments whilst retaining much of the building’s original gothic style architectural features.
Approaching along the private driveway from Porth Penrhyn you will notice that the stunning architectural features of Plas Y Coed have been conserved. The building has been meticulously restored to its former splendour with the retention of many fine architectural features such as the original hall fireplace, refurbished staircase and encaustic tiled floor. The introduction of contemporary elements is sensitively balanced within this classic context, resulting in 12 highly individual living spaces with graceful proportions. Each of the luxury apartments has been designed to a scale and architectural style sympathetic to this grade II listed building. Remaining traces of the original features have been expertly integrated with high specification fixtures and fittings throughout. Open-plan living areas and bright, spacious rooms create the quality bespoke homes only possible in an intimate development such as Plas Y Coed, effortlessly blending the traditional and the contemporary.
Plas Y Coed is located on the eastern edge of Bangor, a vibrant University city with a history dating back 1500 years. Lying close to the Menai Straits and Anglesey with the mountains of Snowdonia National Park providing a spectacular natural backdrop, the area is a walkers paradise with fishing villages, estuaries and miles of sandy beaches such as nearby Hirael Bay waiting to be explored. Plas Y Coed also falls within the Dyffryn Ogwen/Ogwen Vally landscape of special historic interest with the Greenwood Forest Park a particular local family attraction. The 83 mile circular Snowdonia Slate Trail starts close by at Porth Penrhyn and forms part of the Gwynedd Slate Industry Candidate World Heritage Site. In addition, new circular coastal walks have recently been developed by Gwynedd Council, giving you the opportunity to appreciate in full the rich nature, heritage and culture of this area of North Wales coast.
22' 0'' x 13' 4'' (6.70m x 4.06m)
14' 6'' x 13' 6'' (4.42m x 4.11m)
7' 4'' x 6' 11'' (2.23m x 2.11m)
11' 0'' x 9' 6'' (3.35m x 2.89m)
6' 11'' x 6' 2'' (2.11m x 1.88m)
5' 0'' x 2' 1'' (1.52m x 0.63m)
9' 8'' x 4' 2'' (2.94m x 1.27m)
317 High Street
01248 36 44 22